YWCA ENCORE after breast cancer
Helping you restore mobility, flexibility and confidence through gentle exercise.
YWCA ENCORE is brought to you by the Macquarie University Cancer Program and YWCA NSW and is held on Macquarie University's campus
For more information call: 02 9285 6264
Freecall: 1800 305 150 (not available from mobiles)
What is YWCA Encore?
YWCA Encore is an 8 week program designed specifically for women who have experienced breast cancer at any time in their life. Incorporating exercises, relaxation techniques and information, it is safe, fun and therapeutic.
The exercise program is specifically designed to target areas that have been affected by breast cancer surgery and treatment. These exercises improve strength, mobility and flexibility whilst the warm water in the hydrotherapy sessions relieve affected muscles. The classes provide an opportunity for women to share their experience in a safe and supportive environment.
Participation is free, is by enrolment only, and medical approval is required.
How can YWCA Encore help?
After surgery and treatment for breast cancer, many women experience numbness, pins and needles, a loss of mobility and strength, and discomfort in their upper bodies.
The exercises help to:
- Improve mobility, flexibility, strength and arms and shoulders
- Improve general fitness and well-being
- Boost self-esteem and self-image
- Relieve discomfort associated with surgery and treatment
- Reduce the potential risk of lymphoedema
- Assist in the management of lymphoedema
- Improve respiratory health
- Minimise fatigue as a result of treatment
- Create a positive attitude to life and health
What you can expect?
- A small group environment
- A fully trained YWCA Encore Facilitator
- A structured 8 week program, 2 hours per week
- Gentle hydrotherapy and land-based exercises
- Guest speakers and links to other service providers
- Relaxation and meditation
- Take home exercises and information
- Peer support
A supportive environment
YWCA Encore is more than an exercise program; it provides a safe and supportive environment where many long term friendships are forged as women progress through the 8 week program together. The sharing and sense of belonging plays an important role in the recovery process.