WHAT THE FUND COVERS
Funding from The Monique and Doug Thompson Gamma Knife Fund will vary according to a patient’s need (as determined by the eligibility criteria) and may include the following:
- To cover, in whole or in part, the patient's Gamma Knife treatment costs.
- For reasonable travel and accommodation costs for the patient (as outlined below)*.
- For reasonable travel and accommodation costs of one (1) parent or guardian, if the patient is under 21*.
*The patient/escort must not live in Sydney and not have a relative or friend living in Sydney with whom they may stay.
Reasonable accommodation and transport costs information is noted below:
Travel and Accommodation Eligibility Criteria
The patient is required to travel a minimum of 100km one way from his/her usual place of residence to the Hospital (and return).
- Private Vehicle: If a patient travels in a private vehicle for treatment, the reimbursement cost is 19 cents per km.
- Taxi Travel: Reimbursement for taxi travel for treatment-related essential travel only, is capped at $250.
- Public Transport: Public transport reimbursement will be at economy rates.
- Air Travel: Return economy class airfare from usual place of residence to Sydney. This must be booked through Macquarie Campus Travel, unless otherwise agreed. (Please note a ‘Fit to Travel’ medical certificate may be required.)
- Accommodation: Single room rate (includes breakfast) at Travel Lodge Macquarie University for the night before and the night after treatment. This must be booked through Macquarie Campus Travel, unless otherwise agreed.